I am happy to report another “frog” bites the dust! I finished my “sheep” baby blanket that I posted about on the
March 23, 2013. I can’t believe it took me so long to finish! The years are rolling past! I started the blanket in 2012!
I was inspired by the little blue farm scene tin I bought on one of my trips to the UK, if I remember correctly, it was at Heathrow airport.
The finished size of the blanket is 36” x 52” (91cm x 132cm). I had a piece of green Melton big enough for the project. I roughly drew the 3 sheep and fence post on a piece of paper to scale, and then used this as a pattern template to cut out the items on brown, creamy and black felt. I used a combination of the following stitches – blanket-, back-, lazy daisy -, French knot -, fly -, stem and satin stitch to complete the embroidery part of the blanket.
When I had finished with all the hand embroidery, I pressed the blanket on the wrong side, laid it flat on a table for it to cool and then squared it off to size. For the backing I used a piece of cotton fabric that was 7½” (19cm) bigger than the finished blanket. I basically made a sleeve with mitered corners for the embodied blanket to slip into. I then slipped the embroided blanket into the sleeve, pinned it down and top stitched the backing down on to the embroided blanket using my sewing machine on a straight stitch setting. Pressed it again and presto! It was done!
Next week I hope to show you my progress on my friendship braid quilt!